Sunday, January 18, 2015

MEMORY MONDAY

 

My mother has written her memoirs and has been after me to write mine. I have been resisting for a while however I am creating Memory Monday to help me along. Come join me with your own memories. Each week will be a different prompt to encourage the writing of your memories. Link your memories and share them with everyone.

Our prompt is: Family Life

This week has really put family life into the forefront. My mother passed away on Monday, January 12th without recovering from a massive stroke. She leaves behind her husband (my Dad) of 65 years as wells as 4 children, 12 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren. She was definitely the glue that is holding this family together. I have reflected on many of the good times we had together as I cleaned out her apartment and sorted through the papers that should have been thrown out years ago. It was also very difficult to bundle up her clothes knowing that no one in the family could wear them. There are also lots of pictures that will have to be sorted as well.

We will celebrate her life in 2 ways. The first will be a Memorial in which most of the family will be able to attend  at the Retirement home where Dad is still living.   The second will be with a “Granny Tea” in the spring which is being arranged by the granddaughters who learned to drink tea with their grandmother especially when they wanted to get advice.

Our family seems to have gotten smaller and yet we can reflect on others who have left us as well. My father-in-law left us when our eldest daughter was only 16 months old. My middle daughter and son never had the pleasure of playing with him. They missed the chance to discover what a wonderful man he was. I lost my mother-in-law before she had a chance to become a great-grandmother however she gave us many traditions such as a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is made every Christmas.

I am very proud and pleased to have had such wonderful people in my life.

 

Next Week’s Prompt: Family Life Continues

My daughter made us a Memory Monday button that you can grab from my sidebar if you want.

Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

Please link up your posts to this continuing linky so we can watch each other’s memoirs develop over this year.  Please use the format of “PROMPT – BLOG NAME” so we can follow each week’s writing.