Sunday, December 7, 2014

MEMORY MONDAY

 

My mother has written her memoirs and has been after me to write mine. I have been resisting for a while however I am creating Memory Monday to help me along. Come join me with your own memories. Each week will be a different prompt to encourage the writing of your memories. Link your memories and share them with everyone.

Our prompt is: My Christmas Memories

I am going to start this post with a confession; I am a Christmasaholic! I absolutely adore Christmas. It all started with my Christmas at my grandparents’ farm. Everyone was around the Christmas tree waiting for the jolly old elf except for my Uncle Claire and supposedly he was milking the cows. All the gifts were opened except for his because he took so long and missed Santa. Of course I had to help him because he was so far behind. Our Christmas times were wonderful however short lived when my Dad decided we would have Christmas at home and Santa wouldn’t have to travel so far.

My grandmother gave greatest gifts. One Christmas it was a book which inspired my love of reading. It also started a tradition with us. Everyone got a book and when all of the excitement was over we would head off to a corner and read our new books. As I got older I got china (Royal Albert)  which by the time I was married was a complete set.

Another memorable Christmas dates back to before I was 16. The only item on my list was a Torcan hairdryer. For those too young to remember this was a hair dryer that was portable and had a cap like a professional hair salon. Instead of Getting my wish I got a set of suitcases. Just let me say it was one of my most disappointing gifts and I pouted and pouted until I got the dryer for my birthday instead.

 

WIN ~ #96~ Vintage Lady Torcan Top hair dryer -

Many of our Christmas’s were spent at the cottage.We would hand make the decorations and put them on the little tree at the top of the stairs. We used popcorn, cranberries and suet balls for the birds and animals. Many an hour was spent at the picture window watching the birds attack the tree. The only problem occurred when it was really cold outside and everything froze. One year we had to come home early because we ran out of food which included a 25 pound turkey and all of the trimming, gas for the skidoos and cash ( ATMs back then).

We stopped going to the cottage after I got married because we ended up with our car in a ditch.

Next Week’s Prompt: My husband

My daughter made us a Memory Monday button that you can grab from my sidebar if you want.

Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

Please link up your posts to this continuing linky so we can watch each other’s memoirs develop over this year.  Please use the format of “PROMPT – BLOG NAME” so we can follow each week’s writing.