Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WEDNESDAY HODGE PODGE

 

1. Do you have an interest in learning about your family's heritage? Why or why not? If you know a little bit about your roots, share an interesting piece of trivia or a fun fact about someone who goes way back on your family tree.

I have some interest in my family tree however I am also afraid what may be lurking in the past. I know that if I walked down the street I might not recognize some of my cousins or even second cousins. Both of my parents came from large families. My mother was the oldest girl of 19 children. She had 7 living brothers and 1 living sister. My mother’s great grandmother was an Indian princess. My father is the youngest of 8 children. He had 4 sisters and 3 brothers. My father’s mother was killed when he was 9 years old. He was also an uncle by then and actually has nieces and nephews older than himself. I used to be able to say that I had aunts older than my grandmother. Part of my discussions with my Dad now that he has Alzheimer's is about his past.


2. Branch Rickey, the baseball exec credited with signing Jackie Robinson, is quoted as saying-

"Luck is the residue of design."

Agree or disagree? Why?

Basically he is saying that you make you own luck and I agree. However I am not talking about the luck of winning a lottery. Luck needs to be worked on and it doesn’t come easily.


3. In the town where you currently reside, what's your favorite green space?

My favorite green space is called Ashbridge’s Bay. It is a man made space carved around the shore of Lake Ontario. D H and I take many a walk there when the weather allows. We saw lots of birds there as well as flowers. It is a photographer’s dream and DH loves it.

IMG_5850       IMG_5851

IMG_5855       IMG_5857


4. Who is your favorite comedian?

I don’t know if I can narrow it down to just one. I love Lucille Ball as well as Carol Burnett. I spent many hours watching Red Skeleton as well as Jackie Gleason. I also love the cast of “Who’s line is it anyway?” which includes several Canadians including Colin Mocharie.


5. March is National Nutrition Month, and almost everyone needs to improve their diet in some way.  What about you? How can you improve your nutrition on a daily basis? Will you try?

We are already very conscious of our diet. We don’t buy packaged foods very often and we read the labels before we do buy. We want to ensure that we don’t suffer from diabetes as well as high cholesterol. We are careful with our salt and sugar.  The best diet I have been on was not about the food, it was about the exercise. On our last cruise we actually lost weight because we walked every day, swam in the afternoons and danced at night.


6. Which of these green expressions have you 'experienced' in recent weeks -green with envy, green thumb, green around the gills, or give the green light? Explain.

None really apply however the closets would be “give the green light”. I am helping my 6 year old granddaughter E plan a “teddy’s bear picnic” for her birthday. She is planning the food as well as the games.


7. Where is one place you don't mind waiting?

I don’t mind waiting to get my car fixed. I usually take my book and just read while I wait. Where I do mind waiting is in the doctor’s office. I make an appointment and every one else has the same time.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

We saw spring weather for 2 whole days. It was wonderful to get out and walk however we are back in a snowstorm and I have cancelled my grandchildren’s babysitting trip because of the snow. The roads are treacherous again. I will get more time to blog today and will have to exercise with the “sit and be fit” tape I have instead. I will still get to read my book and spend time with DH.

Have a wonderful Wednesday everybody!