Wednesday, February 20, 2013

WEDNESDAY HODGE PODGE

A Road Trip Through the Hodgedpodge

Welcome to this week's edition of the Hodgepodge.  I'm glad you joined the fun today...be sure to add your link to the end of my post, then go see what some of the other players had to say. I have a busy week, but will do my best to visit everyone.

1. When was the last time you were on a mountain top (literally or figuratively)

I was on a mountain in Molde Norway last summer. I was also on top of a mountain in Bergen as well.

2. Do you establish and maintain a strict budget in your household?  What is one piece of financial advice you would offer someone just starting out on their own?

D H is in charge of the budget and he says “I try! I try!”. We are on a fixed income since being retired with no opportunity for the extra perks I used to get from work. We are frugal and prefer not to waste money so that we can cruise more often.

3. Cherries-yay or nay?  Cherry pie-cherry cola-black forest cake-or a scoop of Ben and Jerry's Cherries Garcia...pick one.

I like cherries however if I could only pick one it would Cherry Ice Cream because I love ice cream.

4. Should you ever discuss religion or politics with people you don't know?

No! We meet a lot of people on our cruises and have learned the hard way not to even ask how long people have been married so now we ask “how many cruises have you been on?”. That way we easily find out about the many .marriages and good friendships that are on board. As far as politics as soon people hear that we are Canadian we are asked about our healthcare system.

5. When you take a road trip do you prefer to be the driver or the passenger?  Where were you headed on your last road trip?

I am usually the driver for 2 reasons. I get car sick and I can’t read a map. Our last road trip was to Tampa via Charleston to join up with the cruise ship. We also drove around Tampa enjoying the aquarium and the outlet mall.

6. If we peeked inside your closet, what color would we say is most prevalent?

Right now my closet is on a cruise ship and the prevalent colours are black and white because I bring black and white pants and shorts then add a coloured shirt or sweater. I love colour so I have nearly every colour of the rainbow in my closet at home. Yellow may be the least likely colour to be found in abundance.

7. Who's your favourite senior citizen and why are they special?

My parents. My mother first and then my father. I talk to my mother every day on Skype and wish I could visit more often. She has been a role model my whole life. In many ways I have followed the same path she has taken. I might not have listened to her when I was younger but I do now.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

We are on board the Holland America Ryndam at the moment. We are sharing this cruise with M and N. So far we have enjoyed every minute. The staff is getting to know us so that they can take care of all of our wishes. N and I participated in the Aquafit the first morning. There was only one other brave lady because the water was freezing. It did help my knee and we are looking forward to “Sit and be fit” today. I have been able to dance some and we walked around the private island yesterday. D H and M played beach volleyball for their exercise.

The food on the ship is very good and I have already made friends with the ice cream lady Tari. N and I are participating in the book club and are reading a book out of the library. We are looking forward to San Juan Puerto Rico which is our next Port of Call.